End Dental Anxiety with our Greensboro and Winston-Salem Sedation Dentistry
An estimated 5 to 8 percent of Americans experience dental anxiety, according to the University of Washington in Seattle. Since 1992, Dr. Kelly has offered sedation dentistry techniques to help relieve his patient's fears of going to the dentist and dental procedures. If you are filled with dread at the thought of going to the dentist, Dr. Kelly can help.
Dr. Andrew Kelly has helped patients in Clemmons, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point work through the following issues related to dental visits:
• Severe gag reflex
• Fear of lack of control
• Fear of discomfort during treatment
• Fear that gums and/or teeth will not become numb enough
How Do I Obtain Sedation Dentistry Services?
If you are experiencing dental anxiety or dental phobia, call Dr. Kelly's office to schedule a sedation dentistry consultation. Dr. Kelly's comforting, welcoming staff understands dental anxieties are quite common. You can come to Dr. Kelly's office with the knowledge there will be no dental procedures or examinations during your first visit. Instead, you can talk with Dr. Kelly about your concerns and fears. This will allow him to recommend one or more of the many sedation dentistry techniques he employs to help you find relief from dental anxiety.
How Does Sedation Dentistry Work?
Sedation dentistry practices have helped Dr. Kelly's Winston-Salem and Greensboro patients go confidently visit his office to get the preventive dental care and treatments needed to maintain healthy teeth.
While sedation dentistry can involve taking medications to ease anxiety, you may wish to employ some of Dr. Kelly's suggested techniques for relaxation. These include:
• Identifying a signal you can use with Dr. Kelly to indicate if you are in pain or experiencing anxiety
• Listening to your favorite music or radio station during your appointment
• Practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing
• Using a mirror during the procedure so you are better able to understand what is happening
However, if these techniques are not effective for easing anxiety, sedation services are an option. Sedation does not mean you will be asleep during your dental visit. Instead, Dr. Kelly will identify medications that will relax you, but allow you to remain completely aware during the procedure, which helps to relieve fears of the unknown. You will still be able to signal to Dr. Kelly if you are uncomfortable at any time while sedated, but many patients report having no memory of the time they spent during treatment.
Examples of sedation dentistry medications Dr. Kelly offers include:
• Ativan - An anxiety-reducing medication that typically lasts two hours or less
• Halcion - A short-acting sedative that has amnesic properties. This means you may not remember the procedure.
• Valium - A long-acting sedative most commonly used for longer procedures
• Versed - A short-acting, anxiety-relieving medication
• Nitrous oxide - Also known as laughing gas, this inhaled gas helps you feel more relaxed and in a more elevated mood.
You should not have to miss out on vital dental therapy due to dental anxiety. Dr. Kelly can help to make sure patients in the Clemmons, High Point, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro areas have a comfortable and anxiety-free experience with sedation dentistry techniques. Contact Dr. Kelly’s office today to schedule a consultation.